Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Final Count Down...

Ok so I have a mixed feeling of anxiety and nerves. Today I took my luggage out of my closet and laid it open on the ground thus officially beginning the packing process. I have bought things I think I might need like snacks for my walking adventures, new clean white socks and things my uncle has asked me to pick up like a salad spinner and goo gone.

How does one prepare for an adventure of a lifetime? I think I have everything I need but am not sure and I guess I won’t know until I get there. But that is precisely the point of me going, to make sure that anyone to follow will have the knowledge of what to pack, where to go (and NOT go), what to expect, where to eat and what to do. This is truly my dream job!

I am preparing as best I know how. From what I have read the greatest and most memorable way to get from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem is to take the train, then you can experience the country side and towns throughout your one and a half our trip. Also a good tip is to purchase travelers insurance, they cover medical, dental as well as luggage loss…very important!! I have also bought the Discovery Channels book Guide to Israel; who would know better than discovery channel they made the show Earth after all! Next I checked my in-flight entertainment and I am happy to announce they will be showing Twilight. (Don’t groan, roll your eyes or have any negative thoughts it’s an amazing book and you should read it too!!) I have purchased a box of Kashi Go Lean bars for those moments when I am out and about and starving and wouldn’t have a clue where to turn for a kebab (more research for the trip, apparently the local common snack is a kebab aka gyro).

The final preparations is to make of list of items I need to pack to make sure I am not forgetting anything, put aside things that I need to bring to New Zealand only because don’t forget I will be going there 36 hours after I get back for Israel, spend time with co workers at my going away party on Wednesday, also spend quality time with my nephews and family. And last but not least make sure my roommate does not feel like I am abandoning her in anyway. (We have joked for the last couple weeks that I am going to come home with my things in the courtyard, my room rented out and locks changed.)

All in all I have to just keep telling myself that I have prepared for this the best I can and that though I will be by myself most of the time while touring I am just going to walk around looking like I know exactly where I am going and what I am doing. Self confidence? That won’t be too hard at all! Count down is T-minus 2 days 15 hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment